The Geriatric Behavioral Medicine Center provides a mobile Psychiatric Emergency Team (PET). Our specially trained and licensed mental health professionals are available 24 hours a day to evaluate older adults who are experiencing a crisis. Evaluation may result in a voluntary or involuntary hospitalization in order to stabilize the individual. Healthcare professionals, family members, friends or other concerned persons can call (626) 300-7300 for more information.
Geriatric Behavioral Medicine Center
San Gabriel Valley Medical Center's 42-bed Geriatric Behavioral Medicine Center is specially designed to help individuals age 60 and over. Our center provides short-term inpatient mental health care for patients who may be having difficulties with:
- Depression, including thoughts of suicide or actual suicide attempts
- Behavior that is harmful or threatening to themselves or others
- Confused thinking, disorientation, bizarre thoughts, or sudden memory impairment
Our goal is to provide the best possible evaluation, care and education to help stabilize each patient's behavioral and mental condition so that he or she can return home or to the safest and most appropriate alternative setting.
The Geriatric Behavioral Medicine Center was designed to be a calm and safe treatment environment, featuring:
- Comfortable up-to-date furnishings
- Beautifully landscaped garden patio areas
- State-of-the-art monitoring and security
An individualized treatment plan is developed for each patient. Care, treatment and education are provided by physicians, nurses, social workers, occupational therapists and other clinicians who have been trained in working with older adult patients. Psychiatrists with specialized geriatric training lead our team of dedicated professionals in developing and carrying out each patient's treatment, which includes:
- Psychiatric assessment and diagnosis
- Medical management of secondary medical conditions
- 24-hour nursing care
- Family education and support
- Individual, group, music, exercise and art therapies
- Follow-up care planning
For more information or to inquire about admission: please call us anytime at (626) 300-7300.
- Geriatric Behavioral Medicine Center Brochures
- Mental Health Minute Newsletters